Cultivate, Develop Citizens
Our core is a 10-month program composed of one-day leadership forums designed to train and strengthen 21st century leaders.
Each phase of our program focuses on our core mission of “cultivating and developing informed and involved citizens working to make the community better.”
Leadership Johnson County program participants will:
- Discuss and practice leadership theory, team building, collaborative problem solving and group dynamics.
- Participate in program days dedicated to a better understanding of local agriculture, infrastructure, media, quality of life, service organizations, economic development and government.
- Tour local farms, businesses, industries, government and historical landmarks.
- Network and meet leaders throughout Johnson County.
- Participate in the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator workshop.
- Take a historical driving tour of Johnson County.
Leadership Johnson County participants must:
- Attend a Friday and Saturday class retreat in early September (not an overnight stay).
- Attend 10 days (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) of leadership programming on the second Wednesday of each month from October through May.
- Maintain regular attendance with a maximum of 16 hours of excused absence to meet graduation requirements.
- Be involved in a community service project completed outside of the program days.
One key component of the Leadership Johnson County experience is the completion of a community project. The class is divided into groups who work together to address opportunities and challenges in our community.
The projects vary each year, but the goals of engaging in creative problem solving through collaboration remain the same.